by Shirley Eager
Seventy-two teams competed in the annual 4-day doubles tournament held at Royal Palms, Cathedral City. With the wind coming off the nearby mountains, snow could be seen through the Palm Trees. The weather didn’t seem to affect the fierce competition. Many games had to be broken by the CSA tie breaker rule, and many were decided by just 1 point.
Due to seven clubs being represented in the Friday finals, there was standing room only for the many spectators who acknowledged the good play by “ohs and ahs” and applause. It’s so good to see the camaraderie of the District 5 players acknowledging good shuffleboard, even if it isn’t someone from your home shuffleboard club.
This is the last tournament of the season to qualify for the Tournament of Champions so there were sighs of relief when the qualifying for finals games were completed Thursday afternoon.
The 2019 Doubles winners are:
Champions: Russ Smart & Dick Seburn, The Canyon, Cathedral City
- Doug Loos & Blaine Clark, Safari Park, Palm Springs
- Randy Stephenson & Gary McGrath, Ramon Park, Palm Springs
- Dan Chiernyk & Joe Dion, Palm Desert Greens, Palm Desert
- Consolation Division:
Champions: Margaret Hendriks & Gail Dodd, Royal Palms, Cathedral City
2. Tracy Ferguson & Hal Coleman, Ramon Park, Palm Springs3.
- Jean & Bob Junk, Tramview, Cathedral City
4. Linda & Ken May, Tri Palms, Thousand Palms