December. 29, 2014 – 4:00 p.m. – Golden Village Palms Resort, Hemet, CA
President, Jay Davidson, called the meeting to order at 4:40 p.m. All participated in flag salute.
Moment of Silence: Remembered all deceased shufflers
Total Attendance: 29
ROLL CALL – Secretary, Rocky Raver
– Present Board Members: Jay Davidson, Sharron Brown, Nelda Lichtwald, Russel Smart, David Cozad,
Rocky Raver, Helen Bell, Liz Backus
– Absent Board Members: David Miller, Recording Secretary
– Present District Presidents: Lois Depezynski D-7 and Russel Smart D-5
– Absent District Representation: Districts 1, 2, 3, 10, and 13
MINUTES – Rocky Raver, Secretary
The Minutes of 2013 were not read. There were no correction or additions.
Nelda Lichtwald motioned to accept the 2013 minutes as originally presented.
Russel Smart seconded the motion. Motion passed.
TREASURER’S REPORT – David Cozad reported the following and copies of the report were available:
Balances as of 12/12/2014
Checking Account $347.26
Endowment Fixed CD $11,048.61
Endowment Rollover CD $4,453.13
– Nelda Lichtwald motioned to accept the Treasurer’s report as presented. Seconded by Sharron Brown.
SECRETARY’S REPORT: Rocky Raver
– Sent letter of appreciation to the 2014 Classic Committee
– Sent letter to Maxwell Medals & Awards acknowledging CSA intent to pay for future orders.
– Sent sympathy card to District 5 for the death of Nancy Silger.
– Received a letter from Michael Garrett regarding tournament prize monies.
– Received two requests from D5 for tournament documents.
Hall of Fame – Sharron Brown
– HOF Pins: Ran out of the pins. Reorder cost was $279.99 for 100 pins
– HOF Nomination Letters procedure changed. At Executive Board meeting in July 2014 a motion was
passed that if a person nominated is not voted into the HOF within seven (7) years, a new
letter will have to be submitted.
– New nominees are needed. Club Presidents can submit nominations.
A nominee’s resume should include all work done to advance and enhance shuffleboard plus all
positions held such as team Captain, Referee, Scorekeeper, club/board officer, etc.
– It was noted that new players thought the HOF is only for players already inducted into the HOF. There
fore it was suggested that better communication about the HOF be presented to new players.
– The subject of handling nominations of deceased persons in the nomination process was discussed. Per
Sharon, the nomination letter would be returned to the subject club.
– Three people were inducted to the CSA Hall of Fame. Each person’s contribution to shuffleboard was
presented and their picture taken. Each received a HOF pin and certificate. The inductees are:
From D5, Shirley Kalcic presented Lyle McClanahan
From D7, Maddi Phipps presented Ruth Schneider
From D7, Liz Backus presented Sharron Brown
– Sharron’s 3 year term of office has ended. Anyone interested in the position or being on the Committee
should contact Jay Davidson. Larry Bell and Ray Ackenhausen said they’re interested.
CALIFORNIA SHUFFLEBOARD ASSOCIATION
ORGANIZED NOVEMBER 10, 1959
AFFILIATED WITH THE NATIONAL SHUFFLEBOARD ASSOCIATION, INC.
– Per Jay Davidson, Julian Brown has completed his review and made suggestions to update the Tournament Regulations.
– CSA Rule Issues: (a)Proposed change by Chuck Maynard regarding Rule C8 and (b) rule format review/update.
– Russel Smart motioned that a Rules Committee be formed. Motion seconded by Nelda Lichtwald. Motion passed.
– Russel Smart will chair the Rules Committee.
– Volunteers: Ray Ackenhausen, Sharron Brown, Mike Garrett, George Hayes, George Hayner, Dennis Iszler, Rocky Raver
– There was some discussion about double clutching and when a disc is live. Rules Committee will address the issues.
– The CSA Hall of Fame is located at Golden Village Palms Resort, Hemet, CA. Photos of all HOF members are presented
in a framed format. Per Helen Bell, due to space issues the HOF wall needs to be reorganized. Options such as retiring old
photos to binders will be considered. Helen Bell and Jay Davidson to work on and address the HOF ,wall issue.
– Endowment Fund: Helen Bell informed all that anyone can contribute $100 to the Fund. Contributors get an Endowment
pin and certificate and their name on the Board.
Contributions can be made by anyone, or in honor or memory of someone.
D5: Russel Smart (Report attached); and D5 would like to participate in the Classic.
To participate in the 2015 Classic, Russel should provide names to Lois Depezynski. Liz Backus noted
the Classic should encourage more local players and that D5 should get priority for 2016.
D7: Lois Depezynski – The Florida Street banner announcing the Classic and National Tournaments hosted by Soboba
is finished and looks wonderful. Due to size and weight it could not be brought to today’s meeting.
All issues related to the Classic Tournament are on schedule.
National’s Tournament: March 30 – April 2, 2015 – No one to give report
3rd Vice President, Russel Smart: Has been in the position one year.
2nd Vice President, Nelda Lichtwald: (Report attached)
1st Vice President, Sharron Brown: Has been assisting Jay. No new plaques required.
Past President, Liz Backus: Thanked everyone for a good year.
Please everyone support those clubs hosting tournaments.
It was suggested that Jack Anderson add to his other announcements upcoming tournament information.
And, Club Presidents and Captains should inform and encourage players to participate.
And, better communication is needed about the HOF tournament. New players are confused about who can
play in the tournament and what the HOF is all about.
President, Jay Davidson: Will get the CSA Tournament schedule to everyone.
More CSA Championship pins had to be ordered. The new pins are designed after the National pin.
1. David Cozad’s resignation as CSA Treasurer and Chairman of HOF Endowment Fund.
President, Jay Davidson, thanked David for his service on the CSA Board and as Co-Chairman of the 2014 Classic. His
resignation is effective today, December 29, 2014.
2. Letter from Kathy Brennan, curator of the National Shuffleboard HOF. CSA plaques are out of date. Should we get new
plaques? Looking for ideas. Jay and Helen to address and make decision.
3. CSA Tax Exempt Issue: New application form had to be filed. Tax consultant suggested By-laws be updated to bring CSA
into compliance. Jay and maybe Larry Bell will work this issue.
4. Installation of George Hayes as Treasurer and Chairman of the HOF Endowment Fund.
a. A notice was sent to all Districts informing them this meeting of 12/29/14 is a special meeting for the purpose of
electing a Treasurer; that George Hayes was nominated. There were no other nominations.
b. The Secretary cast a unanimous ballot for George Hayes. George Hayes elected.
c. Jay read a preamble to the Oath of Office, administered the Oath to George Hayes who accepted the Office of
Treasurer and Chairman of the Endowment Fund and pledged to perform the duties of the office and support the
California Shuffleboard Association. Congratulations, George!
George Hayes motioned to adjourn the meeting and Sharron Brown seconded the motion. Motion carried.
NEXT MEETING: Monday, December 28, 2015
Rocky Raver, Secretary
December. 29, 2014 – 4:00 p.m. – Golden Village Palms Resort, Hemet, CA